Update! Act Now!
- If you live in a foreclosed home, the United Community Housing Coalition (UCHC) can help you save your home through
the Right of Refusal (Make it Home) program. Time is very short! Please attend a workshop at UCHC as soon as possible."
Call (313) 969-3310 Ext. 339 to register
2727 2nd Ave Detroit, MI 48201
Deadline is July 31st
Workshop Dates & Times
- Thursday July 5th at 2pm
- Friday July 6th at 11am
- Saturday July 7th at 11am
- Monday July 9th at 11am
- Tuesday July 10th at 5pm
- Wednesday July 11th at 11am
- Thursday July 12th at 2pm
- Friday July 13th at 11am
You Can Help Stop Unconstitutional Property Tax Foreclosures in Detroit
From 2011 to 2015, the Wayne County treasurer foreclosed upon about 1 in 4 Detroit properties for nonpayment of property
taxes. The Great Depression was the last time in American history that we experienced this record numbers of property
According to the Michigan Constitution, no property should be assessed at more than 50% of its market value. But, between
2009-2015, the City of Detroit assessed 55% to 85% of its properties in violation of its state constitution. Since property
taxes were based on these ridiculous and illegally inflated numbers, it is no surprise that residents weren't able
to pay. As a result, over 100,000 working families have lost their homes, and many Detroit neighborhoods have been devastated.
African-Americans have been hit hardest of all.
The Coalition to Stop Unconstitutional Property Tax Foreclosures is fighting to win three demands:
- Stop unconstitutional property tax assessments.
- Compensate Detroit residents who have already lost their homes through illegal tax foreclosures.
- Suspend pending property tax foreclosures until we can confirm that delinquent taxpayers have not been unconstitutionally